Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Gilles Villeneuve

Villeneuve vs Arnoux: Original Video 
Joseph Gilles Henri Villeneuve, better known as Gilles Villeneuve, (French pronunciation: [ʒil vilnœv]) (January 18, 1950 – May 8, 1982) was a Canadian racing driver. An enthusiast of cars and fast driving from an early age, he started his professional career in snowmobile racing in his native province of Quebec. He moved into single seaters, winning the US and Canadian Formula Atlantic championships in 1976, before being offered a drive in Formula One with the McLaren team at the 1977 British Grand Prix. He was taken on by reigning world champions Ferrari for the end of the season and from 1978 to his death in 1982 drove for the Italian team. He won six Grand Prix races in a short career at the highest level. In 1979 he finished second by four points in the championship to team-mate Jody Scheckter.
Villeneuve died in a 140 mph (225 km/h) crash with the March of Jochen Mass during qualifying for the 1982 Belgian Grand Prix at Zolder. The accident came less than two weeks after an intense argument with his team-mate, Didier Pironi, over Pironi's move to pass Villeneuve at the preceding San Marino Grand Prix. At the time of his death, Villeneuve was extremely popular with fans and has since become an iconic figure in the history of the sport. His son, Jacques Villeneuve, became Formula One world champion in 1997 and the only Canadian to win the Formula One World Championship.

Villeneuve was born in Richelieu, a small town in the largely French-speaking province of Quebec in Canada and grew up in Berthierville.[3] He married Joann Barthe in 1970, with whom he had two children, Jacques and Melanie.[4] During his early career Villeneuve took his family on the road with him in a motorhome during the racing season, a habit which he continued to some extent during his Formula One career.[5] He often claimed to have been born in 1952. By the time he got his break in Formula One, he was already 27 years old and took two years off his age to avoid being considered too old to make it at the highest level of motorsports.[6]
Niki Lauda said of him, "He was the craziest devil I ever came across in Formula 1... The fact that, for all this, he was a sensitive and lovable character rather than an out-and-out hell-raiser made him such a unique human being".[7]
His younger brother Jacques also had a successful racing career in Formula Atlantic, Can Am and CART.[8] Gilles' son, also named Jacques, won the Indianapolis 500 and CART championships in 1995 and became Formula One World Champion in 1997.[9]

Villeneuve started competitive driving in local drag-racing events, entering his road car, a modified 1967 Ford Mustang. He was soon bored by this[10] and entered the Jim Russell Racing School at Le Circuit Mont Tremblant to gain a racing licence. He then had a very successful season in Quebec regional Formula Ford, running his own two year old car and winning seven of the ten races he entered.[11] The next year he progressed to Formula Atlantic, competing there for four years, running his own car again for one of those seasons. He won his first Atlantic race in 1975 at Gimli Motosport Park in heavy rain. In 1976, teamed with Chris Harrison's Ecurie Canada and factory March race engineer Ray Wardell, he dominated the season by winning all but one of the races and taking the US and Canadian titles. He won the Canadian championship again in 1977.
Money was very tight in Villeneuve's early career. He was a professional racing driver from his late teens, with no other income. In the first few years the bulk of his income actually came from snowmobile racing, where he was extremely successful. He could demand appearance money as well as race money, especially after winning the 1974 World Championship Snowmobile Derby. His second season in Formula Atlantic was part-sponsored by his snowmobile manufacturer, Skiroule.[12] He credited some of his success to his snowmobiling days: "Every winter, you would reckon on three or four big spills — and I'm talking about being thrown on to the ice at 100  mph. Those things used to slide a lot, which taught me a great deal about control. And the visibility was terrible! Unless you were leading, you could see nothing, with all the snow blowing about. Good for the reactions — and it stopped me having any worries about racing in the rain."[13]

After Villeneuve impressed James Hunt by beating him and several other Grand Prix stars in a non-championship Formula Atlantic race at Trois-Rivières in 1976, Hunt's McLaren team offered Villeneuve a Formula One deal for up to five races in a third car during the 1977 season.[14] Villeneuve made his debut at the 1977 British Grand Prix, where he qualified 9th in McLaren's old M23, splitting the regular drivers Hunt and Jochen Mass who were driving newer M26s. In the race he set fifth fastest lap and finished 11th after being delayed for two laps by a faulty temperature gauge. The British press coverage of Villeneuve's performance was generally complimentary, including John Blunsden's comment in The Times that "Anyone seeking a future World Champion need look no further than this quietly assured young man."[15]
Despite this, shortly after the British race McLaren's experienced team manager Teddy Mayer decided not to continue with Villeneuve for the following year. His explanation was that Villeneuve "was looking as though he might be a bit expensive" and that Patrick Tambay, the team's eventual choice for 1978, was showing similar promise.[16] Villeneuve was left with no solid options for 1978, although Canadian Walter Wolf, for whom Villeneuve had driven in Can-Am racing, considered giving him a drive at Wolf Racing and also recommended him to the Ferrari team's founder, Enzo Ferrari. Rumours circulated that Villeneuve was one of several drivers in whom the Italian team was interested, and in August 1977 he flew to Italy to meet Ferrari, who was immediately reminded of the pre-war European champion Tazio Nuvolari: "When they presented me with this 'piccolo canadese', this minuscule bundle of nerves, I immediately recognised in him the physique of Nuvolari and said to myself, let's give him a try."[17] Ferrari was satisfied with Villeneuve's promise after a session at Ferrari's Fiorano test track, despite the Canadian making many mistakes and setting relatively slow times, and Villeneuve signed to drive for Ferrari in the last two races of the 1977 season and the 1978 season.[18] Villeneuve later remarked that: "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari..."[13]
Villeneuve's arrival was one factor that prompted Ferrari driver Niki Lauda to quit the team at the 1977 Canadian Grand Prix having already clinched his second championship with the Italian team.[19] Villeneuve retired from the race after sliding off the track on another competitor's oil. He also raced in the Japanese Grand Prix, but retired on lap five when he tried to outbrake the Tyrrell P34 of Ronnie Peterson. The pair banged wheels causing Villeneuve's Ferrari to became airborne. It landed on a group of spectators watching the race from a prohibited area, killing one spectator and a race marshal and injuring ten people. After an investigation into the incident no blame was apportioned and, although he was "terribly sad" at the deaths, Villeneuve did not feel responsible for them.[20]
The 1978 season saw a succession of retirements for Villeneuve, often after problems with the new Michelin radial tyres. Early in the season, he started on the front row at the United States Grand Prix West, but crashed out of the lead on lap 39. Despite calls in the Italian press for him to be replaced, Ferrari persisted with him. Towards the end of the season, Villeneuve's results improved. He finished second on the road at the Italian Grand Prix, although he was penalised a minute for jumping the start, and ran second at the United States Grand Prix before his engine failed. Finally at the season-ending Canadian Grand Prix Villeneuve scored his first Grand Prix win after Jean-Pierre Jarier's Lotus stopped with engine trouble.[21] As of 2008, he is the last Canadian to win his home race.
Villeneuve was joined by Jody Scheckter in 1979 after Carlos Reutemann moved to Lotus. Villeneuve won three races during the year. The 1979 French Grand Prix is remembered for Villeneuve's wheel-banging duel with René Arnoux in the last laps of the race.[22] Arnoux passed Villeneuve for second place with three laps to go, but Villeneuve re-passed him on the next lap. On the final lap Arnoux attempted to pass Villeneuve again, and the pair ran side-by-side through the first few corners of the lap, making contact several times. Arnoux took the position but Villeneuve attempted an outside pass one corner later. The cars bumped hard, Villeneuve slid wide but then passed Arnoux on the inside at a hairpin turn and held him off for the last half of the lap to secure second place. Villeneuve commented afterwards, "I tell you, that was really fun! I thought for sure we were going to get on our heads, you know, because when you start interlocking wheels it's very easy for one car to climb over another."[23] At the Dutch Grand Prix a slow puncture collapsed Villeneuve's left rear tyre and put him off the track. He returned to the circuit and limped back to the pits on three wheels, losing the damaged wheel on the way. On his return to the pits Villeneuve insisted that the team replace the missing wheel, and had to be persuaded that the car was beyond repair.[24] Villeneuve could have won the World Championship by beating Scheckter at the Italian Grand Prix, but chose to follow team orders and finish behind him, ending his own championship challenge. The pair finished first and second in the championship, with Scheckter beating Villeneuve by just four points. During the extremely wet Friday practice session for the season-ending United States Grand Prix, Villeneuve set a time variously reported to be either 9 or 11 seconds faster than any other driver. His team-mate Jody Scheckter, who was second fastest, recalled that "I scared myself rigid that day. I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and — I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds!"[25]
The 1980 season was a complete disaster for Ferrari. Villeneuve had been considered favourite for the drivers championship by UK bookmakers,[26] but only scored six points in the whole campaign in the 312T5 which had only partial ground effects. Scheckter scored only two points and retired at the end of the season.
For the 1981 season, Ferrari introduced their first turbo engined F1 car, the 126C, which produced tremendous power but was let down by its poor handling. Villeneuve was partnered with Didier Pironi who noted that Villeneuve "had a little family [at Ferrari] but he made me welcome and made me feel at home overnight ... [He] treated me as an equal in every way."[27] Villeneuve won two races during the season. At the Spanish Grand Prix Villeneuve kept five quicker cars behind him for most of the race using the superior straight-line speed of his car. After an hour and 46 minutes of racing Villeneuve led second-placed Jacques Laffite by only 0.22 seconds. Fifth-placed Elio de Angelis was only just over a second further back.[28] Harvey Postlethwaite, designer of the 126C, later commented "That car...had literally one quarter of the downforce that, say Williams or Brabham had. It had a power advantage over the Cosworths for sure, but it also had massive throttle lag at that time. In terms of sheer ability I think Gilles was on a different plane to the other drivers. To win those races, the 1981 GPs at Monaco and Jarama — on tight circuits — was quite out of this world. I know how bad that car was."[29] At the 1981 Canadian Grand Prix Villeneuve damaged the front wing of his Ferrari and drove for most of the race in heavy rain with the wing obscuring his view ahead. There was a risk of being black flagged but eventually the wing became detached and Villeneuve drove on to finish third with the nose section of his car missing.
The first few races of the 1982 season were promising. Villeneuve led in Brazil in the new 126/C2, before spinning into retirement, and finished third at the United States Grand Prix West although he was later disqualified for a technical infringement. The Ferraris were handed an unexpected advantage at the San Marino Grand Prix as an escalation of the FISA-FOCA war saw the FOCA teams boycott the race, effectively leaving Renault as Ferrari's only serious opposition. With Renault driver Prost retiring from fourth place on lap 7 followed by his team-mate Arnoux on the 44th lap Ferrari seemed to have the win guaranteed. In order to conserve fuel and ensure the cars finished the Ferrari team ordered both drivers to slow down. Villeneuve believed that the order also meant that the drivers were to maintain position but Pironi passed Villeneuve. A few laps later Villeneuve re-passed Pironi and slowed down again, believing that Pironi was simply trying to entertain the Italian crowd. On the last lap Pironi passed and aggressively chopped across the front of Villeneuve and took the win. Villeneuve was irate as he believed that Pironi had disobeyed the order to hold position. Meanwhile Pironi claimed that he had done nothing wrong as the team had only ordered the cars to slow down, not maintain position. Villeneuve stated after the race "I think it is well known that if I want someone to stay behind me and I am faster, then he stays behind me."[30] Feeling betrayed and angry Villeneuve vowed never to speak to Pironi again.[31]
In 2007, former Marlboro marketer John Hogan disputed the claim that Pironi had gone back on a prior arrangement with Villeneuve. He said: "Neither of them would ever have agreed to what effectively was throwing a race. I think Gilles was stunned somebody had out-driven him and that it just caught him so much by surprise." Hogan's company sponsored Pironi while he was at Ferrari. A comparison of the lap times of the two drivers showed that Villeneuve lapped far slower when he was in the lead, suggesting that he had indeed been trying to save fuel.[32]

On May 8, 1982, Villeneuve died after an accident during the final qualifying session for the Belgian Grand Prix at Zolder. At the time of the crash, Pironi had set a time 0.1s faster than Villeneuve for sixth place. Villeneuve was using his final set of qualifying tyres, which were probably already past their best, and many writers say that he was attempting to improve his time on his final lap. Some suggest that he was specifically aiming to beat Pironi.[33] However, Villeneuve's biographer Gerald Donaldson quotes Ferrari race engineer Mauro Forghieri as saying that the Canadian, although pressing on in his usual fashion, was returning to the pits when the accident occurred.[34] If so, he would not have set a time on that lap.
With eight minutes of the session left, Villeneuve came over the rise after the first chicane and caught Jochen Mass travelling much more slowly through the left-handed bend before the Terlamenbocht corner. Mass saw Villeneuve approaching at high speed and moved to the right to let him through on the racing line. At the same instant Villeneuve also moved right to pass the slower car. The Ferrari hit the back of Mass' car and was launched into the air at a speed estimated at 200–225 km/h (120–140 mph). It was airborne for over 100 m before nosediving into the ground and disintegrating as it somersaulted along the edge of the track. Villeneuve, still strapped to his seat, but without his helmet, was thrown a further 50 m from the wreckage into the catch fencing on the outside edge of the Terlamenbocht corner.[34][35]
Several drivers stopped and rushed to the scene. John Watson and Derek Warwick pulled Villeneuve, his face blue, from the catch fence.[36] The first doctor arrived within 35 seconds to find that Villeneuve was not breathing, although his pulse continued; he was intubated and ventilated before being transferred to the circuit medical centre and then by helicopter to University St Raphael Hospital where a fatal fracture of the neck was diagnosed.[37] Villeneuve was kept alive on life support while his wife travelled to the hospital and the doctors consulted with specialists worldwide. He died at 9:12 that evening.[34]

At the funeral in Berthierville former team-mate Jody Scheckter delivered a simple eulogy: "I will miss Gilles for two reasons. First, he was the fastest driver in the history of motor racing. Second, he was the most genuine man I have ever known. But he has not gone. The memory of what he has done, what he achieved, will always be there."[38]
Villeneuve is still remembered at Grand Prix races, especially those in Italy. At the Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari, the venue of the San Marino Grand Prix, a corner was named after him and a Canadian flag is painted on the third slot on the starting grid, from which he started his last race. There is also a bronze bust of him at the entrance to the Ferrari test track at Fiorano.[39] At Zolder the corner where Villeneuve died has been turned into a chicane and named after him.[40]

The racetrack on Île Notre-Dame, Montreal, host to the Formula One Canadian Grand Prix and NASCAR Nationwide Series, was named Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in his honour at the Canadian Grand Prix of 1982. His homeland has continued to honour him: In Berthierville a museum was opened in 1992 and a lifelike statue stands in a nearby park which was also named in his honour.[39] Villeneuve was inducted into the Canadian Motorsport Hall of Fame at their inaugural induction ceremony at the Four Seasons Hotel, Toronto, Ontario on August 19, 1993. In June 1997 Canada also issued a postage stamp in his honour.
There is still a huge demand for Villeneuve memorabilia at the race-track shops and several books have been written about him. The number 27, the number of his Ferrari in 1981 and 1982, is still closely associated with him by fans. Jean Alesi whose aggression and speed in the wet were compared to Villeneuve's[41] also used the number at Ferrari. Villeneuve's son, Jacques, drove the #27 during his 1995 Champ Car and Indianapolis 500 winning season with Barry Green and has also used the number for occasional drives in NASCAR and the Speedcar Series. A film based on the biography by Gerald Donaldson was announced in 2005, intended for release in 2007, but as of 2010 has not emerged.[42]

Gilles Villeneuve (18 janvier 1950 à Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Québec - 8 mai 1982 à Zolder, Belgique) était un pilote automobile canadien. Malgré un palmarès relativement peu étoffé (6 victoires en Grand Prix), son style de pilotage hautement spectaculaire ainsi que sa mort tragique aux qualifications du GP de Belgique 1982 ont contribué à faire de lui l'une des légendes de la Formule 1. Son fils Jacques, lui aussi pilote de course, est devenu champion du monde de F1 en 1997.

Passionné par l'automobile depuis son enfance, Gilles Villeneuve débute sa carrière à sa sortie du cégep. Il s'inscrit tout d'abord dans des épreuves d'accélération (dragsters) au volant de sa Ford Mustang personnelle, mais faute d'argent, se tourne rapidement vers les épreuves de motoneige, financièrement plus abordables, mais surtout plus lucratives. Cette fructueuse première partie de carrière débouche sur un titre de champion du monde en 1974 ainsi que de multiples titres au Canada et aux États-Unis. Grâce à l'argent accumulé en tant que pilote professionnel de moto-neige, Gilles peut parallèlement retourner à son premier amour : la course automobile. En 1973, après un passage par l'école de pilotage de Jim Russell sur le circuit de Mont-Tremblant, il dispute et remporte le championnat du Québec de Formule Ford avec sept victoires en dix courses.
L'année suivante, il accède à la Formule Atlantic. Après une première saison ratée en 1974, sa situation financière devient de plus en plus critique, mais les succès commencent à venir en 1975, avant qu'il ne se révèle véritablement en 1976. Vainqueur de neuf courses sur dix, il remporte les championnats américains et canadiens de Formule Atlantic. Mais son plus beau fait d'arme a lieu lors de l'épreuve de Trois-Rivières, où au prix d'une attaque de tous les instants, il s'impose en battant plusieurs pilotes de Formule 1 invités. Parmi eux se trouve le Britannique James Hunt, sur le point de décrocher le titre de champion du monde de Formule 1. Impressionné par le pilotage spectaculaire du jeune Québécois, le leader de l'écurie McLaren s'empresse de le recommander à son employeur dès son retour en Europe.

En 1977, Villeneuve pilote toujours en Formule Atlantic lorsque McLaren lui offre l'occasion de débuter en Formule 1 à l'occasion du GP de Grande-Bretagne, disputé à Silverstone, au volant de la troisième voiture de l'écurie la McLaren Ford M23, portant le numéro 40. Retardé en début de course par des ennuis moteur, Villeneuve termine à une anonyme 11e place, mais ses temps au tour et son sens de l'attaque n'échappent pas à Enzo Ferrari qui, séduit, lui propose un test à Fiorano au mois de septembre. Le test s'avère suffisamment concluant pour que la Scuderia Ferrari l'engage pour les deux dernières courses de la saison sur la troisième voiture de l'équipe. Suite au brusque départ de Niki Lauda, fâché avec la direction de la Scuderia, c'est en réalité en qualité de deuxième pilote que Villeneuve fait ses débuts chez Ferrari. Douzième du GP du Canada, il est impliqué au GP du Japon dans un tragique accident puisque suite à un accrochage avec la Tyrrell 6 roues de Ronnie Peterson, sa voiture décolle et vient s'écraser au-delà des barrières de sécurité, tuant deux personnes (un photographe et un officiel).

Les véritables débuts en Formule 1 de Villeneuve ont lieu en 1978. Dans un premier temps, il éprouve toutes les peines du monde à confirmer les espoirs placés en lui. Nettement dominé par son coéquipier argentin Carlos Reutemann, ses compétences sont mises en doute par les très exigeants médias italiens, qui réclament son remplacement. Mais Villeneuve trouve peu à peu ses marques et termine sa première saison complète en F1 de la plus belle des façons, puisqu'il remporte à Montréal son GP national, levant du même coup tous les doutes sur ses capacités à piloter au plus haut niveau.

En 1979, suite au départ de Reutemann pour Lotus, Villeneuve est rejoint chez Ferrari par l'expérimenté pilote sud-africain Jody Scheckter. Après un début de saison dominé par les Ligier, les Ferrari ne tardent pas à s'affirmer comme les meilleures voitures du plateau. Vainqueur coup sur coup du GP d'Afrique du Sud puis du GP des États-Unis Ouest à Long Beach, Villeneuve prend ainsi la tête du championnat. Mais la suite est plus difficile pour le Québécois, qui subit la loi de Jody Scheckter, quasiment aussi performant que lui tout en faisant preuve d'une plus grande science de la course. Inexorablement distancé au championnat, Villeneuve laisse définitivement échapper le titre à l'issue du GP d'Italie, antépénultième manche de la saison où, respectueux des consignes d'équipe, il ne cherche pas à contester la victoire à son coéquipier et ami et se contente d'assurer le doublé pour Ferrari. En remportant en fin de saison le GP des États-Unis à Watkins Glen, Villeneuve décroche tout de même le titre honorifique de vice-champion du monde.
Mais la saison 1979 de Villeneuve est loin de se résumer à un duel perdu pour le titre face à Scheckter. Cette année-là, en dehors de ses trois succès, il réalise deux prestations qui marqueront durablement les esprits. Tout d'abord au GP de France disputé à Dijon, où dans les derniers tours de course, il livre au Français René Arnoux un duel d'une intensité jamais égalée en Formule 1. En se doublant, en se redoublant, en abordant plusieurs virages de front et en se touchant à plusieurs reprises, les deux pilotes font se lever le public qui en oubliera presque qu'il ne s'agit là que d'une lutte pour la deuxième place. Au GP des Pays-Bas à Zandvoort ensuite, où auteur d'un début de course tonitruant (marqué par un dépassement plein d'audace sur Alan Jones par l'extérieur du virage Tarzan), Villeneuve est victime d'une crevaison. Mais loin de se ranger sagement sur le bord de piste, il continue d'attaquer au volant d'une voiture complètement déséquilibrée, tantôt sur trois roues, tantôt sur deux roues, tandis que son pneu déchiqueté arrache des éléments de carrosserie. À son retour aux stands, il faudra toute la force de persuasion de ses mécaniciens pour le convaincre de renoncer

En 1980, Gilles Villeneuve est très attendu. Compte tenu de sa pointe de vitesse de plus en plus affûtée et de son expérience grandissante, il semble en mesure de prendre sa revanche sur Scheckter au championnat du monde. C'est sans compter sur le catastrophique niveau de la Ferrari 312 T5. Évolution de la voiture qui l'année précédente, malgré son utilisation partielle de l'effet de sol (l'usage du large moteur Flat 12 ne permet pas de concevoir une véritable wing car) parvenait à tenir la dragée haute aux wing cars, la 312 T5 s'avère complètement dépassée. Souvent qualifié dans la deuxième moitié de la grille de départ, Villeneuve ne parvient à arracher que six maigres points malgré des efforts jamais comptés. C'est toujours mieux que son équipier Scheckter qui, démotivé, annoncera rapidement son départ à la retraite et connaîtra même le déshonneur d'une non-qualification.

À partir de 1981, la Scuderia Ferrari amorce son retour au premier plan grâce à son adoption de la technologie du moteur turbocompressé, déjà utilisée par Renault depuis 1977. D'une puissance redoutable, le moteur de la Ferrari 126C1 est toutefois particulièrement difficile à exploiter, en raison de son temps de réponse. À cela s'ajoute un châssis à la tenue de route plus que précaire. Après un début de saison catastrophique, Villeneuve va pourtant réagir sur le circuit où on l'attend le moins et qui semble le moins correspondre aux caractéristiques de sa voiture, en l'occurrence Monaco, où il réalise un véritable numéro d'équilibriste entre les rails pour guider sa machine vers la victoire. Il récidive lors du GP suivant disputé sur le tracé de Jarama en Espagne, où un départ fulgurant conjugué à l'abandon précoce du champion du monde en titre Alan Jones lui permet de prendre la tête de la course en début d'épreuve. Durant tout le reste du GP, il parvient à contenir la meute de ses poursuivants, plus rapides que lui, en bouchonnant astucieusement dans les parties sinueuses et en utilisant toute la puissance de son moteur turbo dans les lignes droites. Sur la ligne d'arrivée, Villeneuve sauve sa première place tandis que quatre pilotes sont regroupés en moins d'une seconde derrière lui. Le Québécois réalise une autre prestation mémorable en fin d'année à Montréal, où sous la pluie, il se classe troisième malgré un aileron avant à la verticale, conséquence d'un accrochage en début de course.

Les progrès réguliers de la Ferrari turbo font de Villeneuve l'un des favoris de la saison 1982. Dominé par Alain Prost et sa Renault lors des premières manches de la saison, il entend bien prendre sa revanche à domicile , à l'occasion du GP de Saint-Marin, boycotté par les équipes FOCA. L'abandon précoce des Renault lui ouvre la voie d'un facile succès, tandis que juste derrière lui, son équipier et ami Didier Pironi semble assurer le doublé de la Scuderia. Conscient de l'importance de ce résultat d'ensemble après un début de saison raté, le stand Ferrari passe à ses pilotes le panneau SLOW, qui signifie qu'ils doivent baisser le rythme et qui est donc un ordre implicite de figer les positions. Pourtant, Pironi attaque Villeneuve et entreprend de le doubler. Pensant dans un premier temps que son équipier le dépasse par jeu et cherche avant tout à divertir un public qui a été privé d'une vraie course, Villeneuve se rend pourtant rapidement compte que Pironi cherche réellement à lui contester la victoire et a toutes les peines du monde à reprendre le commandement de l'épreuve. S'en suit un duel fratricide dont Pironi sort finalement vainqueur. Sur le podium d'après course, Villeneuve, les mâchoires serrées, refuse ostensiblement de saluer Pironi et d'ouvrir la traditionnelle bouteille de champagne. S'estimant trahi par celui qui en dehors des circuits était également un ami proche, il prononce des paroles de vengeance à l'encontre du pilote français.
Le GP suivant se déroule à Zolder en Belgique. Toujours furieux, Gilles Villeneuve est plus que jamais décidé à prendre sa revanche. Le duel est lancé dès les qualifications où les deux hommes luttent pour arracher la pole position. C'est à cette occasion que Villeneuve trouve la mort. Lancé à haute vitesse, il rattrape la March de Jochen Mass qui roule au ralenti. Constatant l'arrivée de la Ferrari dans ses rétroviseurs, Mass change de ligne pour lui ouvrir le passage, au moment même où le Canadien entreprenait de le déboîter. La Ferrari heurte très violemment la March par l'arrière, puis décolle, avant de retomber lourdement et de partir dans une série de tonneaux au cours de laquelle Gilles est éjecté. Gisant inanimé dans un grillage de protection, Gilles est transporté d'urgence à l'hôpital le plus proche, où son décès est prononcé dans la soirée. L'enquête démontrera que Villeneuve a probablement été tué dès le choc initial avec la March, les vertèbres cervicales brisées.
Les circonstances de l'accident de Gilles Villeneuve font encore aujourd'hui l'objet de thèses contradictoires. Pour certains, Villeneuve était lancé dans un tour de qualification au moment où il a rattrapé Mass, ce qui expliquerait sa volonté de ne pas lever le pied. D'autres estiment au contraire que Villeneuve venait déjà d'effectuer un tour rapide et que l'accident a donc eu lieu dans son tour de rentrée aux stands, effectué à une vitesse anormalement élevée, ou alors dans une tentative désespérée d'effectuer un deuxième tour rapide avec le même train de pneus.
  • 1967 : Début en course régionale de motoneige Ski-Doo
  • 1973 : Champion du Québec de Formule Ford (9 victoires en 10 courses)
  • 1974 : Champion du monde de motoneige et débuts en Formule Atlantic
  • 1976 : Champion du Canada et des États-Unis de Formule Atlantic (9 victoires en 10 courses). Victoire à l'épreuve de Trois-Rivières devant les pilotes de Formule 1 invités.
  • 1977 : Champion du Canada de Formule Atlantic. Débuts en Formule 1 au GP de Grande-Bretagne sur McLaren, puis deux courses chez Ferrari.
  • 1978 : Formule 1 chez Ferrari (10e du championnat avec 17 points et 1 victoire)
  • 1979 : Formule 1 chez Ferrari (2e du championnat avec 53 points et 3 victoires, victoire à la Race of Champions (Brands Hatch)
  • 1980 : Formule 1 chez Ferrari (12e du championnat avec 6 points)
  • 1981 : Formule 1 chez Ferrari (7e du championnat avec 25 points et 2 victoires)
  • 1982 : Formule 1 chez Ferrari (15e du championnat avec 6 points). Accident mortel aux qualifications du GP de Belgique le 8 mai.
  •  À Berthierville, un musée lui rend hommage. Inauguré en 1988, le musée Gilles-Villeneuve regroupe des voitures de course, des souvenirs de Grand Prix, des documents d'archives sonores et vidéo ainsi que des centaines de photos du champion. Le musée est également consacré à son fils et à son frère.
  • Le circuit de Montréal, sur lequel Gilles Villeneuve a remporté son premier succès en Formule 1 en 1978, a été rebaptisé Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve quelques semaines après sa mort. L'inscription Salut Gilles est peinte sur la grille de départ.
  • En 1991, il a été introduit au Panthéon des sports du Québec.
Joseph Gilles Henri Villeneuve, (Berthierville, Quebec, Canadá, 18 de enero de 1950, - Zolder, Bélgica, 8 de mayo de 1982) fue un piloto canadiense de Fórmula 1.
Durante finales de los años 70 y principios de los 80, Villeneuve era un piloto valiente, que conducía al límite y que no temía a la muerte. Debido a este pilotaje fue testigo de muchos trompos y accidentes. La mayor parte de su carrera la realizó en el conjunto de Maranello, Ferrari, siendo considerado como un héroe por los tiffosi. Hombre de equipo, aceptó sin problemas ser el "escudero" de Jody Scheckter para que este se pudiera llevar el título en 1979. Murió en el Gran Premio de Bélgica de 1982, en la tanda de clasificación. En un choque con el alemán Jochen Mass, su Ferrari salió volando y tras un violento primer impacto, Gilles salió despedido del habitáculo chocando fatalmente contra la pista y las vallas de protección. Murió en el acto. No llegó a coronarse nunca como campeón del mundo, pero su espectacular forma de pilotaje lo convirtieron en una leyenda de la Fórmula 1. La increíble lucha que mantuvo con el francés René Arnoux en el circuito de Dijon-Prenois en el Gran Premio de Francia de 1979 (rodando emparejados y sacando su monoplaza fuera de la pista si era necesario), es parte ya de la historia de la Fórmula 1.
Luego de su muerte, el autódromo actualmente usado para el Gran Premio de Canadá pasó a llevar su nombre: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.
Su hijo, Jacques Villeneuve, fue piloto de Fórmula 1 hasta el año 2006 y se proclamó campeón del mundo en 1997 cuando corría en el equipo Williams-Renault, en su segundo año en la Fórmula 1.

Joseph Gilles Henri Villeneuve, meglio conosciuto come Gilles (IPA: /ʒil vilnœv/; Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, 18 gennaio 1950Lovanio, 8 maggio 1982), è stato un pilota automobilistico canadese.
Appassionatosi di automobili durante i primi anni di vita, diede inizio alla propria carriera sportiva partecipando a gare tra motoslitte nella nativa provincia del Québec. Successivamente passò alla guida delle monoposto, e nel 1976 vinse sia il Campionato di Formula Atlantic canadese che quello statunitense. Un anno più tardi la McLaren fece esordire Villeneuve in Formula 1 al Gran Premio di Gran Bretagna 1977; nel corso della medesima annata la Scuderia Ferrari, campione in carica dei costruttori, lo ingaggiò per le ultime due gare stagionali al Mosport Park (Canada) e al Circuito del Fuji (Giappone) in sostituzione di Niki Lauda. In quattro anni con la scuderia di Maranello fece registrare sei vittorie in Gran Premi e un secondo posto nel Mondiale 1979 alle spalle del compagno di squadra Jody Scheckter.
Morì in uno schianto a 225 km/h con la March di Jochen Mass durante le qualifiche per il Gran Premio del Belgio 1982. Villeneuve al momento del decesso era molto popolare tra gli appassionati, e da allora è diventato un simbolo della storia dello sport.
Suo figlio Jacques sarebbe diventato nel Campionato Mondiale di Formula 1 1997 il primo – e, a tutt'oggi, unico – canadese campione del mondo dei piloti di Formula 1.

Gilles iniziò a correre con le motoslitte insieme a suo fratello, Jacques, insieme al quale, su quella peculiare tipologia di mezzo, si era allenato sin da bambino, per divertimento. Già nelle prime gare a livello professionistico entrambi riuscirono a ottenere risultati di rilievo, iniziando a rendere noto il nome Villeneuve.
Dover controllare una motoslitta dalla stabilità decisamente precaria, con visibilità azzerata dagli spruzzi di neve, rese Gilles coraggioso e capace di prevedere il mezzo, e gli conferì la capacità di controllarlo nelle situazioni e alle velocità più estreme, capacità che gli servì negli anni a venire. Più vinceva e più desiderava passare alle corse d'auto, maggiormente rischiose, veloci, dispendiose e difficili.
Vendette la casetta che aveva messo su assieme alla moglie Johanna e si trasferì in un piccolo appartamento; col ricavato dalla vendita riuscì a partecipare al campionato di Formula Ford, in cui ottenne immediato successo, per poi passare l'anno successivo alla Formula Atlantic, con la quale pure vinse subito arrivando però a dover chiedere finanziamenti per completare la stagione 1975, senza peraltro interrompere la serie di vittorie. Proprio la scarsità di denaro condizionò l'apprendistato di Gilles prima della Formula 1.
Nel 1976 arrivò il titolo canadese di Formula Atlantic; nel 1977 partecipò nuovamente al campionato e, soprattutto, al Gran Premio Trois Rivieres.

« Lo chiamano Circo della Formula 1 e proprio come un circo si sposta di città in città, issa la sua tenda e fa spettacolo. Tra giochi di magie, belve e domatori il divertimento è sempre assicurato, così come il brivido che offrono gli artisti più spericolati quando tocca a loro salire sul filo teso nel vuoto e danzare. Nell'estate del 1977 tra le tende della Formula 1 si affacciò un pilota dallo sguardo dolce e dal cuore impavido, salì sul filo con la sua Ferrari e per cinque anni lo percorse fra capriole e piroette.
Poi un giorno scese ed entrò nella leggenda… »

(da Sfide, programma televisivo di Rai 3Gli anni di Gilles Villeneuve, 2002)
Proprio in quella gara minore, alla quale partecipavano numerosi piloti di Formula 1, vinse davanti al campione in carica della medesima, James Hunt, il quale lo propose al team manager della McLaren Teddy Mayer, che gli organizzò dei test e la partecipazione al Gran Premio di Gran Bretagna del 1977. Gilles, con un'obsoleta McLaren M23, già sorprese tutti realizzando il miglior giro durante il warm-up del mattino. Si qualificò 9° e terminò 11°, pur con una spia dell'acqua malfunzionante che lo costrinse a perdere molto tempo ai box per verificare eventuali danni al sistema di raffreddamento.
Venne tuttavia scartato da Mayer (che gli preferì Patrick Tambay) e fu subito contattato dalla Ferrari, che avendo perso il suo pilota di punta gli propose di prendere parte agli ultimi Gran Premi della stagione. Subito venne soprannominato "l'Aviatore" a causa del suo stile di guida aggressivo, che lo coinvolse spesso in spettacolari incidenti, come nel Gran Premio del Giappone, allorquando entrò in collisione con la Tyrrell a 6 ruote di Ronnie Peterson, si staccò dal suolo e ricadde su alcuni spettatori appostati troppo vicini alla pista in zona vietata, uccidendone due.

« Se è vero che la vita di un essere umano è come un film, io ho avuto il privilegio di essere la comparsa, lo sceneggiatore, l'attore protagonista e il regista del mio modo di vivere. »

(Gilles Villeneuve)
Ma le vittorie non tardarono ad arrivare: ottenne la sua prima in Formula 1 nel natio Québec, nel Gran Premio del Canada del 1978, tenutosi sul Circuito di Montréal. Il suo stile di guida era meraviglioso a vedersi, esaltava il pubblico, e addirittura i meccanici dichiararono di riuscire a capire quali erano le parti del cambio usate da lui o viceversa da Reutemann solo toccandole. Ma i veri successi giunsero nel 1979, anno in cui al volante della sua Ferrari terminò al 2º posto della classifica del Campionato del Mondo, preceduto dal compagno di squadra e amico Jody Scheckter di soli 4 punti.
Quell'anno è ricordato dagli appassionati di Formula 1 anche per la piazza d'onore del Gran Premio di Francia, disputatosi a Digione, in cui la sua Ferrari e la Renault Turbo di René Arnoux furono protagoniste di un memorabile duello ruota contro ruota durato tre giri e che, alla fine, vide prevalere Villeneuve. Questo, all'unanimità, è considerato uno dei momenti più spettacolari e intensi di sempre nella storia della Formula 1.
Le sue 6 vittorie sono tra quelle con il più alto tasso di astuzia tattica e sensibilità di guida nella storia di questo sport. Meravigliosa fu la vittoria di Gilles al Gran Premio di Monaco del 1981 per quello che fu il primo trionfo della storia di una vettura con motore turbo sul circuito del principato. A questa fece seguire un classico della guida difensiva, al Gran Premio di Spagna, allorché si tenne alle spalle 4 vetture dalla evidente miglior tenuta di strada mercé una grinta indefessa supportata dalla maggior velocità in rettilineo della sua monoposto. Incredibile anche il terzo posto raggiunto in Canada sotto un vero e proprio diluvio guidando per diversi giri con la visuale completamente accecata dall'alettone anteriore danneggiatosi (e poi staccatosi definitivamente) in seguito ad un urto con la vettura di Derek Daly.
Nel 1982, ad Imola, per una questione di regolamento legata al peso minimo della vettura, Lotus, Brabham, McLaren non parteciparono. C'erano invece Renault, Alfa Romeo, Osella, Toleman e Tyrrell. Per le veloci Ferrari, prive di reali avversarie, a parte le Renault precocemente uscite di scena per la rottura delle turbine, la gara si preannunciò come un'esibizione con arrivo in parata. Villeneuve e Pironi si danno gran battaglia in una sorta di gioco per divertire il pubblico. Ma al 50º giro quel gioco sembrò prendere la mano di Pironi, forse stanco di vivere all'ombra del collega amatissimo beniamino del pubblico ferrarista. Al 50º giro la Ferrari di Gilles era al primo posto. Gli accordi di scuderia prevedevano che chi era al comando ci restasse fino alla fine, ma il francese sfidò il compagno di squadra con manovre "con il coltello fra i denti" che rischiarono di compromettere la gara di entrambi. Ai box si preoccuparono ed il cartello "slow" esposto ai piloti era eloquente, ma Pironi superò nuovamente Villeneuve al 54º giro. Il cronologico dimostra che quando Villeneuve era in testa i tempi sul giro erano decisamente più alti, per poi venire abbassati da Pironi (che quindi "tirava" nonostante le indicazioni dai box) quando era quest'ultimo a condurre la gara. A due tornate dalla fine Gilles, deciso a non farsi scippare la vittoria, attaccò nuovamente il compagno con una staccata al limite alla curva Tosa. All'ultimo giro, ancora alla staccata della curva Tosa, Didier si riportò in testa e tagliò vittoriosamente il traguardo. Dopo l'arrivo scoppiarono subito le polemiche: sia i tifosi che i giornalisti erano increduli. Molti pensarono ad un coup de théâtre ferrarista per dimostrare ai rivoltosi inglesi che bastavano due Ferrari per dare spettacolo e riempire i giornali. Gilles però era visibilmente scosso: il volto tirato, l'aria offesa, sembrò non voler salire la scaletta che porta al podio dove poi ignorò totalmente Didier che pure cercava di coinvolgerlo nella festa alzandogli pure il braccio per riconoscere i suoi meriti. Nei giorni seguenti il pilota canadese ebbe parole amarissime per quella amicizia tradita. Alla sua delusione si aggiunsero le parole di Enzo Ferrari che nel tentativo di minimizzare l'accaduto e smorzare le polemiche non difese apertamente il pilota dichiarando che "non è importante chi vince purché vinca una Ferrari". Il pilota canadese nelle passate stagioni si era guadagnato il ruolo di prima guida e la promessa di essere sostenuto dalla squadra nella sua corsa al titolo mondiale dimostrando la propria lealtà verso la Ferrari, aiutando in maniera decisiva Jody Scheckter nella conquista del titolo piloti 1979. Inoltre non si deve dimenticare il grande sacrificio del pilota nello sviluppo del motore turbo, con molte gare finite dopo pochi metri in una nuvola di fumo. Tradito dal suo compagno di squadra, Gilles si sentì abbandonato anche dalla Ferrari. Prima di Zolder corsero voci che il pilota canadese fosse in procinto di passare ad un'altra squadra, segnatamente la Williams. Si dice anche che Gilles volesse fondare una propria scuderia. Circolò sui giornali una frase che Gilles avrebbe rivolto al DS Ferrari Marco Piccinini dopo aver capito che la Scuderia non avrebbe punito Pironi per l'accaduto: "Adesso cercatevi un altro pilota". Vere o no, queste voci testimoniano il clima avvelenato in cui si giunse al tragico finale della vicenda.

« Il mio passato è pieno di dolore e di tristi ricordi: mio padre, mia madre, mio fratello e mio figlio. Ora quando mi guardo indietro vedo tutti quelli che ho amato. E tra loro vi è anche questo grande uomo, Gilles Villeneuve. Io gli volevo bene. »

Sono passate due settimane da Imola e la situazione in casa Ferrari è tesissima. I due piloti non si sono chiariti, nonostante i tentativi di Pironi, e tra i due permane una cortina di silenzio. È l'8 maggio 1982, ore 13:52 a Zolder, mancano pochi minuti al termine delle qualifiche del sabato: Villeneuve è indietro, è sesto. È soprattutto dietro a "quello lì" come ora chiama Didier, che è terzo. Gilles, ormai in procinto di rientrare ai box su ordine del direttore tecnico Mauro Forghieri[1][2] affronta la chicane alle spalle dei box e successivamente la discesa che immette alla curva 'Terlamenbocht', la curva del bosco. È in quinta piena quando improvvisamente si trova davanti la più lenta March numero 17, guidata da Jochen Mass, il quale lo vede arrivare e si sposta subito a destra, pensando che il canadese lo superi a sinistra; Villeneuve, invece, nella stessa frazione di secondo pensa che Mass si sposti a sinistra, perché vuole affrontare la Terlamen all'interno, lungo la traiettoria più veloce, e anch'egli va quindi verso destra. La collisione è inevitabile: la Ferrari numero 27 urta, con la ruota anteriore sinistra, quella posteriore destra di Mass. La vettura decolla, fa alcune piroette in aria per poi schiantarsi violentemente contro un terrapieno a bordo pista, impuntandosi nella terra molle con la tremenda energia cinetica di un'auto lanciata a 260 km/h che rilancia la vettura in aria, priva di gran parte dell'avantreno.
Gilles fu proiettato, con le cinture di sicurezza divelte che si trascinavano dietro ancora il sedile della sua Ferrari, contro le reti di protezione; atterrò sulla spalla destra e con il corpo strappò la prima rete di protezione; successivamente, sbatté violentemente il collo su un paletto di sostegno della seconda rete metallica. Nell'urto il casco si strappò e rotolò vicino a lui.
Immediatamente soccorso, apparve subito evidente che le sue condizioni erano gravissime: il pilota era cianotico e con il viso ed il collo edematosi. Gli fu effettuato il massaggio cardiaco e venne trasportato in elicottero alla clinica universitaria di Lovanio: un'equipe di medici rianimatori era già pronta per prestargli le prime cure, ma essi si trovarono di fronte ad un corpo inanimato che presentava solo deboli segni di attività vegetativa e si resero conto che non c'era più nulla da fare.
Infatti, la diagnosi fu rapida e sconsolante: l'impatto con quel paletto, la tremenda decelerazione (calcolata in 27g) o, più probabilmente, la violentissima trazione esercitata sul collo dalle cinture di sicurezza nel momento in cui il sedile si era staccato dal telaio, avevano causato una lesione del tronco encefalico e la rottura (con conseguente distacco) delle vertebre cervicali con gravissime lesioni midollari. In poche parole, il cervello non mandava più impulsi al cuore che, insieme all'apparato respiratorio, svolgeva ancora le sue funzioni praticamente per inerzia. Gilles, ricoverato in terapia intensiva, fu dichiarato clinicamente morto alle 21:00 ora locale. I medici dichiararono che se anche, per assurdo, egli fosse sopravvissuto, sarebbe comunque rimasto paralizzato dal collo in giù ed in uno stato puramente vegetativo per quel che gli sarebbe restato da vivere. Ricevuta questa infausta prognosi, alle ore 21:12 la moglie Johanna diede l'autorizzazione a staccare la macchina cuore-polmone che lo teneva in vita.
Il corpo di Gilles fu riportato in Canada il giorno successivo; dopo le esequie a Berthierville, la salma del pilota fu cremata. Da allora, Gilles Villeneuve è entrato nella storia e, pur non avendo mai vinto un titolo mondiale, la sua breve, ma intensa carriera ha fatto di lui un mito della Formula 1.

Nel piccolo cimitero di Berthierville una lapide ricorda il pilota canadese, le cui ceneri furono riportate a Montecarlo dalla moglie Johanna. Al suo funerale parteciparono molti piloti di ogni categoria, giunti a rendere omaggio a quello che era il più temerario tra loro.
Infatti Villeneuve, dopo la morte di Ronnie Peterson, venne visto come il pilota da battere, e tutti si aspettavano moltissimo dalle sue gare, il lampo di genio, l'azzardo, l'improvvisazione temeraria, la ricerca della traiettoria impossibile da seguire per chiunque, tranne che per lui.
Suo figlio Jacques avrebbe seguito le sue orme, crescendo nelle categorie minori certamente in virtù del suo nome ma anche di una indubbia abilità di guida, e dopo aver vinto la 500 Miglia di Indianapolis e il campionato CART nel 1995, col numero 27 sulla scocca, fece il suo debutto in Formula 1 con la Williams-Renault nel 1996, spuntando la pole position e riuscendo quasi a vincere. Si laureò Campione del Mondo appena l'anno successivo.
Il circuito sull'Île Notre-Dame, a Montréal, utilizzato per il Gran Premio del Canada e per una gara di Champ Car, fu intitolato a Gilles Villeneuve nel 1982, e nel giugno del 1997, il Canada emise un francobollo in onore del suo pilota più celebre.

Caratteristico di Gilles Villeneuve fu il casco, inizialmente nero, poi blu con due strisce rosse ai lati a disegnare il giglio blu a tre punte stilizzato, il simbolo del Québec (il disegno si capisce guardando il casco da sopra la calotta), (disegno ripreso poi dal figlio Jacques a inizio carriera, ma successivamente cambiato con i colori dell'iride al posto del rosso) e soprattutto il numero 27, usato da Gilles negli ultimi due anni, 1981 e 1982, alla Ferrari, e mantenuto per alcuni anni in seno alla scuderia congiuntamente al 28. Dopo il tragico incidente occorsogli, si era ipotizzato, in seno alla FIA, di eliminare per sempre il numero 27 dalla numerazione delle vetture di Formula 1 per ragioni puramente scaramantiche (da sottolineare che già non è presente il numero 13 sulle monoposto): nel 1975, infatti, il pilota statunitense Mark Donohue, morì in un altro incidente ed il numero della sua vettura era, per l'appunto, il 27, ma poi non se ne fece più nulla.
Fu infatti cambiato solo in occasione dell'arrivo di Prost (che per regolamento portò i numeri 1 e 2 di campione del mondo) e poi di Michael Schumacher, questa volta definitivamente.
Ancora oggi, a 28 anni di distanza, Gilles vive nell'immaginario dei tifosi. Di lui si ricordano le uscite di curva sempre al limite, i sorpassi impossibili e, soprattutto, il cuore che metteva in ogni metro di ogni corsa, indipendentemente dalla posizione o dalle contingenze del momento.
Nel 1987, in una gara di motonautica, perse la vita anche Didier Pironi; pochi mesi dopo la moglie Catherine partorì due gemelli, a cui mise i nomi Didier e Gilles.

« Gilles mi mancherà per due motivi. Primo, lui era il pilota più veloce della storia delle corse automobilistiche. Secondo, era l'uomo più genuino che abbia mai conosciuto. Ma lui non se n'è andato. La memoria di quello che ha fatto sarà sempre qui. »

(Jody Scheckter, ai funerali)

No comments: